Overview of The University of Aberdeen Medical School
Students in Aberdeen have the opportunity to study medicine in a thriving medical school that is co-located on one of the largest clinical sites in Europe with superb teaching and extensive research facilities.
The course students undertake is very modern, dynamic and clearly delivered using a systems-based, integrated approach. Student feedback is encouraged and is extremely important in informing future course developments.
Course Structure for University of Aberdeen Medicine
- Year 1: Foundations of Medicine, Anatomy and clinical skills
- Year 2: Alimentary system, Head/Neck/Dermatology and Nervous system.
- Year 3: Bi-weekly clinical attachments and by the end of the year, you will be able to perform a complete - head-to-toe examination of your patients
- Year 4: Senior Clinical Practice. Five horizontal themes also arc across the curriculum: diagnostics, end of - life care, health data science, quality improvement, cost and value of healthcare.
- Year 5: Final year represents a deliberate change in approach from the systems-based learning of Years 1 to 4, to experience professional practice as a member of the clinical team dealing with the whole patient.
Aberdeen Medicine Entry Requirements
- Grade 6 passes in English Language and Maths
- Biology is recommended
- Physics is recommended (or Dual Award Science)
- A combination of Grade 6-9 passes at GCSE is expected, especially in science subjects.
AAA in three A-Levels taken together at first sitting over a maximum of two years of study.
36 points overall (including core), with 3 appropriate subjects at HL each to achieve grade 6 and 3 appropriate subjects at SL with an average of 6.
A minimum of 4 Highers at AABB over one or two sittings (over S4-S6). This must include any two sciences from Chemistry, Maths, Biology/Human Biology and Physics or;
Admission Tests for University of Aberdeen Medical School
Yes - the UCAT is required for Aberdeen Medical School
Offered, after year 3 or 4
Foundation Year / Gateway
Aberdeen Gateway to Medicine is offered. Gateway to Medicine 1 year long + 5 year medicine degree
Work Experience for University of Aberdeen Medical School
Required. Attempt to arrange private visits to medical schools and speak with doctors/students, or get information about open days
Personal Statement for Aberdeen Medical School
Required and used highly in the application
Aberdeen Medicine Interview
Multiple Mini Interviews (MMI) - 7 minute stations
February and March
- Motivation to study medicine
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Core qualities of a doctor
- Personal Statement
Telephone: 01224 437923