Overview of Edge Hill Medical School
This five-year programme enables you to gain a Primary Medical Qualification and to apply for provisional registration with the General Medical Council. With a focus on developing future doctors who have patient safety, reflection and professionalism at the core of their practice, the MBChB involves early and extensive clinical placements with a focus on community and mental health care settings, as well as exposure to medicine, surgery and a range of hospital specialities.
Edge hill University Medicine Course Structure
- Year 1: Focuses on the life sciences, with an emphasis on the normal structure and function of the whole human body.
- Year 2.: You will gain an increased understanding of illness and wellbeing and more clinical exposure (including general practices and hospitals).
- Year 3: Provides an insight into care for specific patient groups in hospital and community settings.
- Year 4: Primary and Secondary Interface. You will also reflect on the relationship between primary and secondary care and consider where it is most appropriate to treat patients in a range of different circumstances.
- Year 5: It will include student assistantships, a specialist placement and a focus on acute medicine.
Edge HIll Medicine Entry Requirements
GCSE: 5 GCSEs at Grade B or Grade 6 or above (or equivalent) at the time of application, including Biology, Chemistry, English Language and Mathematics.
GCSE Double Science Awards, at Grades 6-6 or B-B or above, will also be accepted in lieu of separate GCSEs in Biology and Chemistry.
Grades AAA at A Level are required. These must include Biology and Chemistry, with passes in the practical elements of both subjects, and one other subject.
While Biology and Chemistry are both required at Grade A or above, where Grade A* is achieved in either Biology or Chemistry (or both Biology and Chemistry), the third A Level subject will be accepted at Grade B or above.
A Levels in General Studies, Critical Reasoning, Citizenship and Key Skills will not be accepted.
Pass Diploma with 36 points or more to include three subjects at higher level, with at least 6 points in Biology, 6 points in Chemistry and one other subject, plus three further subjects at standard level with a minimum of 5 points each;
AAAAB or above taken in a single sitting and including Biology, Chemistry and three other subjects;
AAA in Biology, Chemistry and one other subject
Edge Hill University Medicine Admission Tests
Applicants who meet the UCAT threshold will be invited to interview. The UCAT threshold set by the University may differ from year to year as it is dependent on the scores achieved by those who apply to us in each admissions cycle. Any candidate scoring within band 4 in the Situational Judgement Test will be automatically rejected.
Foundation Year / Gateway
If you meet a specific set of widening participation criteria and grades, you may be able to join a six-year integrated version of this programme, MBChB Medicine with Foundation Year, where you will complete a Foundation Year before progressing onto the MBChB Medicine degree.
- A Levels: BBB inc. biology and chemistry
- GCSEs: You will also need at least five GCSEs at Grade B or Grade 6 or above (or equivalent) at the time of application, including Biology, Chemistry, English Language and Mathematics. GCSE Double Science Awards, at Grades 6-6 or B-B or above, will also be accepted in lieu of separate GCSEs in Biology and Chemistry.
- UCAT: Required
Edge Hill University Medical School Work Experience
It is not stated whether the university look for work experience or not. However it is preferred to have a commitment to Medicine by showing an interest.
Edge Hill Medical School Personal Statement
The university likes students to show a caring and empathetic nature with a wide range of qualities suitable for a career in Medicine.
Edge Hill Medical School Interview
Edge Hill Medical School Interview Type: MMI (Mini Multiple Interviews)
Number of stations: 8
Length of each station: 7 minutes
Preparation time before each station: 3 minutes
Edge Hill Medical School Interview Dates: December to February
- Edge Hill Medical School Interview Questions / Topics:
- Understanding and motivation for wanting to join the MBChB programme at Edge Hill University;
- Verbal communication skills;
- Empathy and compassion;
- Awareness of current health challenges;
- Ethical awareness;
- Awareness of self and others;
- Prioritisation/decision making;
- Interpretation of data
- Edge Hill Medical School Contact Details:
- Address: Edge Hill University, St Helens Road, Lancashire, L39 4QP
- Telephone: +44(0)1695 575171